Today we are excited to bring you a guest blog post from Kevin Dunne, VP, Strategy and Business Development at QASymphony. TestPlant announced a technology partnership with QASymphony on July 12, 2016. To read more about the partnership, click here.
- - -
Agile is everywhere, with VersionOne reporting that 95% of surveyed organizations are practicing agile methodologies within their teams. Though Agile does means getting products to market efficiently, it does not mean doing so with reduced quality, as almost half of the organizations surveyed mentioned moving to Agile to increase quality within their applications.
To embrace quality at speed, many organizations are adopting test automation to eliminate the amount of time spent on regression testing within the application and to return quick feedback on the quality of a build. For many situations, automation will provide an almost immediate return on investment by providing a reliable test that can be run as frequently desired, with minimal setup and overhead. However, there are many situations where manual testing needs to be employed, especially as exploratory testing:
- When a new feature or build needs to be validated immediately and no automation test has been built yet, and it would take too long to build one
- When a feature is prone to constant change, and an automation test would fail too often/require too much maintenance
- When testers are exploring new areas of the application without automation tests built, thinking up new automation tests to be designed and built
- When the automated test cannot provide a return, i.e. the test will not be run enough time to justify the initial cost of automation vs. the long term savings per execution
At QASymphony, we believe that eggPlant Functional offers countless benefits over the wealth of other solutions on the market, including but not limited to: ease of use, dependable and flexible image recognition technology, and cross platform support. These unique capabilities allow TestPlant to provide the greatest amount of automation coverage of available tools on the market. Even so, manual and automated testing will continue to coexist for the foreseeable future and the demand for a single source is huge. QASymphony’s agile test case management solution, qTest, is the perfect complement for teams using TestPlant, with benefits for manual and automated testers alike:
- Out-of-the-box results reporting from eggPlant Functional to qTest for consolidated reporting on both automated and manual testing results
- Instant visibility and traceability from automated and manual test results to requirements and defects stored in popular agile ALM solutions like JIRA, Rally, and VersionOne
- Unique workflow to support identification of time consuming manual regression tests, assignment to automation engineer, and replacement of test with eggPlant automation
- Industry leading Insights platform drawing on manual and automated test results, powered by Gartner recognized Logi Analytics engine
It’s clear to see that Agile teams are positioned to receive the greatest benefits and have the highest probability of success when they utilize test automation alongside tightly integrated test case management. When teams leverage both TestPlant and QASymphony’s offerings, they will have a fully featured and flexible agile testing solution that allows for scripted, exploratory, and automated testing across web, desktop, and mobile platforms. We are extremely excited to announce this strategic partnership with TestPlant and assist Agile teams with their goals of reaching higher quality at even faster speed.